Principal Interview Questions
- Have you served as a principal before? If, so what grade level schools
(elementary, middle, high)? How many years?
- What was the test performance of the students in your schools? State
tests, National test?
- Describe your average daily routine in percents by the following:
Discipline, buses, lunchroom, classroom visits, parent conferences,
staff meetings, building and grounds, paperwork/reports, meetings outside
- What role do parents play in your school? Give specific examples.
- What is the function of the PTA/PTO in your school?
- What is the function of the School Council in your school?
- How do you recruit teachers?
- How do you keep parents informed?
- Describe your style of leadership and give examples.
- How would you handle a situation where a parent wants her child removed
from a particular teacher’s classroom; however, the teacher wants
the child to stay?
- Name five words that best describe you as an administrator.
- Give three reasons why you should be selected as the principal of
- What are your immediate or short-term goals for our school? What
are your five-year goals?
- Who do you involve in decision making issues?
- How do you evaluate student work and how do you know whether that
work meets standard?
- How do you evaluate teachers and other staff? What are your criteria?
- Explain your view of work ethics.
- How do you monitor staff as their compliance with the Georgia Teacher
Code of Ethics?
- What role would the business community serve in a school under your
- Describe your involvement in community and civic activities.
- Describe the best teacher you know. Describe the best parent you
know. Describe the best student you know.
- How do you measure the success of a school?
- What are the steps you follow in dealing with a child that is not
demonstrating success? Who do you involve and when?
- Describe your most successful experience as a principal.
- Describe you worst experience as a principal.